The „Marienburg“ was originally built by the Teutonic Knights, a German Roman Catholic religious order of crusaders in the 13th and 14th century. After the setback of the crusaders in the Holy Land, the order moved its headquarters here and expanded its power. The town which grew around it was also named Malbork/Marienburg. In 1466, both castle and town became part of Royal Prussia, a province of Poland. This castle is supposed to be the largest brick castle of the Middle Ages. The military power of the Teutonic Knights faded in the 15th century. Later the Polish kings resided here.